CenturyLink is a telecommunication company that offers both DSL and fibre internet services with Internet speed ranges from 15 MBPS to 940 mbps. It is the highly trusted brand for both residential and small business customers offering them services like high speed internet, fibre, voice and so on. It provides a wide ranges of speed among which we can select at as per our requirement and location. CenturyLink offers to play extreme high quality videos of 4K content over a greater speed.
This article contains top ten best modems which are compatible with CenturyLink including the step to self install these modems.
How to Self Install CenturyLink Modem ?
The box of the modem contains a green light cord that goes to the wall and a yellow one which will go to the computer .
- ‘CenturyLink’ application needs to be installed from the app store.
- Select install your new modem.
- Power cord needs to be plugged in. The AC adapter needs to be plugged in as well.
- One end of the adapter will be plugged in the wall and the other in the modem
The power light turns into the solid green color.
- Now, you have to plug in the green cord. One end will be plugged into the wall and the other into the modem.
- Within five minutes lights start flashing which indicates it is communicating with CenturyLink.
- Once the internet light turns orange, locate the serial number in the modem.
- Scan in with the barcode scanner in the application ‘My CenturyLink App‘ .
- CenturyLink will locate the account information.
- Then click on ‘Sign no service agreement‘
- Once done, you will be surfing the internet.
Accordingly, you can personalize your Wi-Fi if you are willing to.
Best CenturyLink Compatible Modems & Router
1. Netgear D6400
It is a wonderful mid ranged choice with popular manufacturers.
- It has the one of the world’s largest Wi-Fi at the moment.
- It provides VDSL and ADSL auto detection with connection over a phone line.
- It has a Wi-Fi speed of 300 + 1300 megabits per second over dual bands.
- It has a dual band of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz .
- It has in-depth control softwares.
- It has one gigabit of Wi-Fi bandwidth.
- It has comprehensive remote monitoring setup.
- It is relatively easy to set up.
2. GreenWave C4000XG
A CenturyLink fiber Gigabit is one of the most preferred modems compatible with CenturyLink
- It makes uses of Wi-Fi 6 technology
- It offers a speed of 940 Mbps
- It has 5 Gigabit ports.
- It has Dual band of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11ax.
3. CenturyLink C3000A
One of the fastest CenturyLink modems which is fully compatible with the majority of their services
- It uses Wi-Fi 5 technology
- It provides dual band technology
- It has a bandwidth of 200 megabits per second.
- It gives a quality of service queue monitoring.
- It supports ADSL+ and VDSL2 technology
- It also supports bonded connections.
4. Netgear D7000
With thirteen different lights on the top front indicating different established connections like Wi-Fi with one of the best overall Wi-Fi network speeds. Combining the AC and end protocols it promised to give the maximum of 1900 gigabits per second.
- It has a powerful dual core processor of 1 GHz
- It has two USB ports (2.0 and 3.0)
- It has range for all if your 8022.11 AC
- It eliminates buffering lag time and Wi-Fi connections with the nighthawk
- It has ten amplifiers
- It has three high performance external Antennas which help in boosting the speed.
- It eliminates the Wi-Fi dead zones.
- It has automatic bandwidth priority. It enables the devices that need the highest bandwidth to get the highest bandwidth.
- It has a convenient PC backup feat.
- It is best suited for gaming and high quality streaming.
- It is versatile. It has a VDSL and DSL modem router.
5. Motorola MD1600
It is a modem- router combination. It is comprehensive of all the features that you want in a high speed DSL model. With a great speed and broad compatibility it has one of the best DSL modem performances. It supports Wi-Fi network capable of transfers in gigabits.
- It is a VDSL2 AND ADSL2+ modem working on VDSL2 and ADSL2+ internet connection
- It has a speed of 100 Mbps
- It is best suited for non – bonded DSL from CenturyLink.
- It gives a high speed Internet access to all your devices.
- It contains built-in Gigabit router.
- It’s Wi-Fi works with IEEE 802.4b,a ,g and b devices.
- It supports dual band AC of 3×3 5 GHz and 2×2 2.4 GHz .
- It has 4 gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for optional connection to computers and other Ethernet capable devices.
- It contains 2.0 USB port.
- It supports DLNA media sharing.
- IP compatibility – IPv4 and I’VE
- Works over your telephone, laptop , tablets and so on.
- Easy and select installation.
- Not a complex setup; easy setup
- Advanced surge and lightening protection
- Highly secured
- Advanced firewall
- WPA and WPA2 wireless security
- Built-in virtual private network capability
- Even if switched to a different network it can still work.
- Incompatible with AT&T internet service
- Incompatible with Verizon internet service
- Not support cable TV services
- Does not support vector
6. ZyXel C3000Z
It is a dual band Wi-Fi which can create multiple Wi-Fi network with up to 4 SSLDs . It has a hardware WPS button which allows customers to enjoy easy setup using a simple button.
- It is based on Wi-Fi 5 technology
- It supports dual band of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.114
- It has a maximum speed of 1.7 Gbps over 5 GHz and 450 Mbps over 2.4 GHz.
- IT is bonded with VDSL2.
- Works in DSL mode, when CPE operates.
- It provides the DSL forum.
- It ensures faster deployment of service provider.
- It contains standard management option, remote provisioning option, monitoring and management features which helps in enhancing the customer satisfaction.
- It is best suited for CenturyLink with speed 40 Mbps or below.
- IP compatibility- IPv4 and I’VE
- It allows vectoring
- It reduces crosstalk up to 150%
- It is a carrier class Wi-Fi for seamless mobility.
- It can create multiple Wi-Fi networks with up to 4 SSLDs which can separate WLAN networks for video, data and guests.
- It has strong security features
- Forms Robust Protection Enhanced security
- Dual Ethernet firewalls ( NAI and SPI)
- Easy and simple installation
- Easy to use.
- It provides strong Wi-Fi signal.
- It contains internet router for internet service.
7) Technicolor C2000T
It is one of the useful modems at affordable prices and appreciable speed.
- It provides access to 2.4 GHz only
- It is limited to wireless technology
- It works more fine with its advanced subscription.
- It supports vectoring and bonded devices.
- It offers a great speed for highway quality streaming.
8. Technicolor C2100T
A large device which can be considered costly for the speed they provide.
- It can accommodate any kind of subscription
- It is a single storage device with only one USB jack.
- One of the biggest features if this modem is that it works even in rural markets.
- It has four physical LAN ports.
- It has a dual band access of 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz
9. Technicolor C1100T
A modem which is built to eco-friendly standards does not use constant rate of Wi-Fi speed. It utilizes a dynamic rate which helps in switching to mitigate issues in crowded wireless environment.
- It supports Wi-Fi of 2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/h.
- It supports ADSL/ ADSL2+ in a single line up to 20 Mbps and VDSL2 up to 40 mbps.
- IP compatibility- IPv4 and IPv6
- It can be the best choice for budget conscious customers.
- It has no 5 GHz band access.
10. Actiontec C3000A
- It is based on Wi-Fi 5 technology
- It has four rj-45 Ethernet ports.
- It comprises of dual band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz 802.11
- IT provides speed of 100 Mbps on VDSL
- It is best suited for CenturyLink speed of 100 Mbps or below.
How to Self Install Actiontec Modem?
- An Ethernet cable or wirelessly connection needs to be stablished with the modem
- Go to command prompt . Type ‘ipconfig’ and look for your default gateway number or numeric code.
- Open your preferred browser. Type your gateway code you found in the above step . Press enter.
- Type your username and password of the modem which is present at the back of the modem.
You have been successfully logged in to the modem.
- A Verizon page appears. Go to advance setup.
- Under advance setup go to ‘IP addressing’ and select WAN IP settings.
You will be redirected to a page name WLAN IP settings.
- Then you have to fill up the PPP credentials. For instance in PPPOE you have to write the email that you have been given by CenturyLink by far.
- You have to fill up the rest credentials in similar way. Click on save and apply.
- Then again under Advanced setup , go to broadband settings and choose DSL settings.
- Fill up the required credentials you have been asked for.
- Leave the line mode to multimode . Then click apply.
- Reset your modem by plugging in to again . Within 5-10 minutes all the LED lights will turn solid green.
With rating 4.2/5 on Amazon its pros include :
- Easy to use
- Simple installation
- Technical support
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What’s the difference between a modem and a router? Do I need both?
A modem is the essential equipment needed to bring internet service into your home from the larger network. A router is what allows you to access that internet connection from all your wireless devices throughout your home over WiFi.
The equipment provided by CenturyLink is a combination modem and router in one easy-to-use unit. We refer to this unit as a gateway.
What does it mean that a modem is CenturyLink. certified?
“Certified” means our modems have been tested on the CenturyLink network to ensure they are compatible with our internet technology and that they perform as expected. Our technical experts determine the modem’s maximum speed and check IP compatibility. All CenturyLink-certified modems include 24/7 technical support and free McAfee security protection.
If you are looking to use a different modem with your existing service, our representatives can help you determine compatibility. If you are ordering new service, you will be guided to purchase or lease the correct CenturyLink modem to get the best connection and performance.
What is the best modem for CenturyLink fiber service?
The compatible models for CenturyLink Fiber service are:
- Greenwave C4000XG
- Zyxel C3510XZ
- Zyxel C3000Z
Can I use my own modem with CenturyLink service?
You will get the best experience and performance by using certified CenturyLink equipment. Why? Our modem/router combo (gateway) is tested and guaranteed to be optimized for maximum performance and easy setup. Our modems also come with free 24/7 tech support.
You can purchase or lease a compatible modem from CenturyLink to use with your service. If bringing your own modem is an option, you will see a note during the online order process. However, not all modems are able to connect to CenturyLink internet service. Check the drop-down above to learn more about each model of gateway offered.
What is the best modem for CenturyLink DSL service?
For optimal performance, the preferred models for CenturyLink DSL internet service are:
- Actiontec C3000A
- Greenwave C4000BG/LG or Zyxel C4000LZ
- Zyxel C3000Z
All the modem out there in the market are not compatible with CenturyLink The modems listed above are one of the best preferred choices of the modem which are compatible with CenturyLink. Defer queues listed above most common problem people faced while making use of CenturyLink concerning modems.
Though sometimes CenturyLink faces the accusations of the having a very bad customer care service still it can be used as it offers a wide range of Wi-Fi network speed and can be brought into use for the Wi-Fi in both home and small businesses.