Blocking specific apps which you don’t use, which seems harmful for your device or which are not adequate to be used by your kids, is the only thing we can do to protect our devices and children from consuming inappropriate content. But in iPhone and iPad it is bit tricky to block pre-installed and post-installed or user-installed apps. Here’s how you can disable particular apps altogether –
Block Apps on iPhone or iPad Using Parental Controls or Restrictions
Restrictions are placed under Screen Time in your Settings. This is the easiest way to block an app on your device by using this feature. Restrictions not only allow blocking apps but you can also restrict the access of your under-age children to some specific apps.
Follow these steps to get to the restrictions on your iOS device:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone or iPad device. Clicking on the settings icon.
- Scroll till you see “General“.
- Tap on the “General” icon.
- Scroll down and tap “Restrictions“. If your restrictions are already turned on then you need to fill the specific passcode assigned to your restrictions.
- Then tap on “Enable Restrictions“. Here you need to create a 4-digit passcode for future use. Make sure you create a passcode you don’t use for any other app or to unlock your device.
- Enter your Restrictions Passcode. Note: you have to fill in the passcode every time you access the Restrictions menu.
- Enter your 4-digit passcode again, now the passcode is set.
- Find the “Allow” tab, which is located at top of the Restrictions menu. Note: this will only show you the apps which can be blocked i.e. it won’t show the apps which are pre-installed or which are needed for the smooth functioning of your device.
- Now, you’ll see a switch next to every app, you need to slide the Green Switch to white to block the app.
- Scroll down until you see “Apps“, tapping this you can set data use, location, storage and other restrictions on the specific apps.
What happens after you restrict an app?
Blocking an app on your device means you prohibited it from using your device data, storage, location, and every other information. Now your device is free from all the inappropriate data.
How do Restrictions work on iPhone and iPad?
Restrictions give you leverage to control the activities on your device. These also help in securing your device from masquerading fake apps.
Controlling the websites and content under Parent Controls give you an upper hand to protect your younger ones from consuming adult content.
Tasks performed under Restrictions:
- Prevent App Store Purchases. Protects your children from purchasing dangerous apps and wasting capital.
- Allow restricting use of built-in apps. Sometimes built-in apps hamper our productivity thus, it is necessary to limit their interference.
- Hinder content ratings and explicit content. Saving young minds from being exposed to the toxic things of the world. Helps in limiting their screen time.
- Allow changes to settings and other features. Settings can be changed or altered according to user needs.
- Control privacy settings. From web search history to managing passwords, each and every private information is being safeguarded.
- Restrict Game Center
- Limit Siri web Search
- Automatically filter website content
Content appropriate for the kids, adults and elders, is filtered with utmost care.
Thus, Restrictions perform every task to keep you and your loved one’s safe, protects your data, and allow you to limit data uses.
Block Apps on iPhone and iPad not Using Restrictions
There are few tools you can use to block certain apps or restrict their function on your device. One such app is FamiSafe, launched by Wondershare. This is one of the most trusted parental control apps. From screening age-inappropriate content to managing screen time, FamiSafe will give you complete control over your child’s phone.
You can download FamiSafe from any app store or directly from their website.
To take full control of your kid’s online activities, Famisafe will let you set several filters, i.e. Block Apps, Filter Websites, Record Daily Phone Activities, Social Monitoring and many more.
Block Apps on iPhone Using FamiSafe
FamiSafe can be downloaded from any app store and is an extremely user-friendly app. It is compatible with all iOS devices. Here’s how you can block apps on iPhone using this app-
- Generate a FamiSafe account using your credentials.
- Download the app on your kid’s iPhone.
- On your phone, assign ” Parent” and your kid’s phone, select “Child“.
- Follow the same routine on your kid’s phone and finalize the connection.
- To block apps, visit the ” App Block” option. From here you can just block or unblock any app with a single tap.
Also, you can fix the time limits for an app as well. Once the user would exceed the time limit, the app would automatically be blocked.
Block an App from Being Downloaded on your iPhone using Mobile Device Manager Plus
The most crucial thing nowadays is to secure personal data, but new ways of extracting user data are sprouting. In this, malicious apps play a pivotal role. These apps are available on every app store and can damage your device to a greater extent.
A few of the widespread reasons to block an app from being downloaded are to stave off the installation of malicious apps for data safety, limit access to apps that hamper productivity and avoid accessing problematic content on corporate devices.
In particular cases, a mobile device management solution, like Mobile Device Manager Plus can help companies to block apps on devices from being downloaded or installed. Mobile Device Manager Plus enables the device to Blocklist apps to block specific apps from being downloaded and further disable the installation of the app on iOS, Android and Windows devices.
The requirement to Block Apps from being downloaded on your iOS device- The device must be supervised and have an iOS 9 or later version.
- Open Inventory to see all the apps available for your device.
- Tap on Blocklist App to block any particular app.
- Now you need to choose whether the app is blocked only on specific devices or on all the devices.
The selected apps are no longer being downloaded on your device unless you approve them.
Which Apps can be blocked using Mobile Device Manager Plus?
Using Mobile Device Manager Plus, user can block the following apps:
- Pre-installed Apps: All devices have some apps installed beforehand. These apps might hamper the productivity of an individual, thus they need to be restricted or blocked. YouTube is one such pre-installed app, that can also be blocked in organizations.
- Post-installed Apps or User-installed Apps: These apps are installed by the users not knowing about their origin. Most of the apps contain malware that can be blocklisted by using the Mobile Device Manager Plus.
After following the above process, the user can choose the action to be executed if any such app found on the device. It could be uninstalling the app instantly, notifying about the app, or entirely block app download and run only essential apps.
Other Ways to Block Apps on iPhone or iPad
Here’s the list of applications that can be used to Block Apps on your device:
- OffTime : This app shows you how much time you’ve been giving to your phone and will encourage you to take some time to disconnect from social media. This app is free for Android users but charges around $3 from iOS users.
- RescueTime : Background running app which sends you notifications to show you how many hours you spent on your device, which sites distracted you the most, and encourages you to increase your productive time. Blocks unnecessary sites and apps. Works on all the major devices.
- Freedom : Blocks distracting websites and apps. It allows you to set a schedule for yourself. Not free. After the completion of the free trial monthly charges being levied which is around $7/month.
- OurPact : Designed specifically considering kids in mind. Parents can monitor their child’s online activity, set routine for them, block unnecessary apps and websites and restrict the internet as well. Free for Android users.
- Moment : Moment works as your virtual coach. From guiding on how much data you need to consume, how much time you spending on your phone and how much time your family members spending on their devices. It has all the records. Sets daily data limits, encourage you to achieve the goal. Available for both Android and iOS devices.
- FocusMe : More than just a website blocker, FocusMe is a tool which can be fully customized according to one need. Specially designed to curb online temptations. Free for Android users, other users need to pay around $3/month.
- Flipd : With over five lakh plus downloads and thousands of reviews, this app can add productivity to your life. Block apps and not let them start even after the phone being switched on. It also has a wellness hub feature, through which you can practice mindfulness. Free for all.
- AppBlock : This mobile application will let you block those annoying apps and websites, help you to focus on some more important things by reducing your screen time.
- Cold Turkey : This blocks website, applications, internet, and everything which is distracting you on your phone. It allows you to set a timer or to create a schedule. Some special features of this app block you from using the computer for a certain period. Free but charges $29 for a pro subscription.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How to block pre-installed apps on iPhone?
If you have iOS 10 or higher on your device, you can delete pre-installed apps using the above method. Users with iOS 9 or the initial version cannot delete the default apps that Apple pre-loads on the iPhone.
Can the FamiSafe app be used for Android as well?
Yes, it’s compatible with both iOS and Android. But it can’t be used for tablets and desktops.
How to remove an enrolled device from the Mobile Device Manager Server?
If the device is enrolled with MDM, it has to be Deprovisioned before being Eliminated from the Server. On the MDM console, open the Enrollment tab and click on the Ellipsis Button under the Action column, adapting to the device to be removed from management. Now, click on Deprovision. The device will be moved to the Staged tab from where it can be deleted using the Remove Device choice. If the device is offline or if it has already prevailed unmanaged, it can be promptly removed from the MDM server.
Does MDM support iPad?
Yes, MDM support iPhone, iPad, Android and other devices too.
What is Screen Time in iPhone?
This lets you know how much time you spent on apps, websites, and more. You can create passcodes for the settings and restrict the apps.
Why do we need to block the apps on these devices?
Increased dependability on the internet grabbed the attention of every individual, from kids to the older generation all can be seen using the internet. This helped to flourish the internet scam culture, fake apps are being constructed by developers to collect personal information of the users which has the potential of harming them financially and socially. Also, parents are concerned for their children that which content they are consuming. That’s why it’s important to block such suspicious apps on the devices to shield everyone.
How to secure your iOS device by identifying suspicious apps?
iOS is considered one of the finest operating systems, but this doesn’t mean your device is impenetrable. Your data can still be stolen by installing some apps to hack your device. There are plenty of fake apps present on play stores, their sole purpose is to hack your data. To avoid falling into the trap, you must double-check the legitimacy of the app before downloading. You can visit the official website and download the app from there.
Are there any other ways to control the online activities of my kids?
Yes, you can search for other apps and software to monitor their online activities.
Others Helpful Articles