Have you ever been concerned about your monthly phone bill? Do you ever notice extra charges on top of your mobile contracts, or get frustrated when you go overseas and have to use expensive texts, crazily-priced mobile data, and eye-watering call charges? Almost everyone has felt ripped off by their mobile carrier before; it is unquestionably frustrating to be tied by contracts and having a phone locked by one mobile carrier, especially in this technology age when an average person uses their phone for 3 – 4 hours a day and travel to a few foreign countries a year. Having an unlocked phone allowing you to use any SIM card from any service provider in the world.
An unlocked phone usually carries a higher price tag compared to a locked phone, which prompts many people to purchase locked mobile handsets from mobile carriers, and from there on having to use a phone that would only work with SIM cards from one network provider. When using your current plan and noticing how costly it sometimes is, you likely to start thinking about switching to a different carrier to get better deals for your phone plan. However, with a locked phone, you must stick to the same provider even when you travel. What many people don’t know is that you can unlock your phone for free thanks to technology. Check out our guide on 10 best ways how to unlock a T Mobile phone for free in 2020.
Unlocking a phone can be complicated, as when your phone is locked, the IMEI number of your phone is linked with the SIM by the network provider, and the conventional way of unlocking your phone is through requesting your network provider to unlock it for you. However, there are many more choices nowadays to unlock your phone by yourself for free. Once you unlock your phone, you are now in control of your phone charges, both local and overseas. There is no longer the need to stick to the restrictions of one mobile carrier, and you can say goodbye to whooping roaming charges. Unlocking your phone now is as easy as to go online to a phone unlocking service site, type in your IMEI number, generate the code from the service and enter it into your phone.
Why unlock your phone
- Save hundreds of dollars off your roaming charges the next time you go overseas. There are many cases of misunderstandings of terms and conditions for roaming charges, which lead to phone bills of thousands of dollars.
- Having the flexibility to choose the mobile plan that suits your needs the most. New plans are rolled out very often and promotions are usually applied for new users of a carrier, hence you can make the most out of what you pay for your phone bill.
- Ensuring you have a stable connection wherever you go. Every network has its own weak zones where the connection may not be strong enough. Having the ability to switch to any carrier can ensure you have quality phone calls and an internet connection anywhere you go.
- If you wish to resell your phone, an unlocked phone is much easier to be sold as there is no restriction associated with it. Selling a locked phone automatically narrows down the pool of potential buyers. Or in case you want to give your phone to a family member to use, they do not have to worry about changing their number and carrier just to use that phone.
- Unlocking your phone using IMEI is completely safe and legal. You are not altering any software or hardware during the process; hence this phone-unlocking method is recommended by phone manufacturers and network carriers.
Some considerations when unlocking your phone
T-Mobile might unlock your phone for free if you meet the requirements below:
- The phone must be purchased from T-Mobile.
- If the phone was purchased via a contract term, then you have to have paid for at least 18 months, or the account has been changed to a no-contract plan.
- For prepaid phones, the device needs to have been active on T-Mobile for more than 12 months.
- If the prepaid phone has been active on T-Mobile for less than a year, then the Prepaid account associated with that device must have more than USD 100 refills.
- The account must be in good standing, with no history of a missed payment or current outstanding payments.
- The device must not have been reported as stolen, lost or blocked.
- You have requested phone unlocking for lesser than 2 times in the past 12 months.
If the requirements are met, you can contact T-Mobile customer service for free unlocking of your phone; however, the process can take a few days and can be complicated.
If you do not meet the aforementioned requirements or want to switch your network carrier before 18 months, you can use the online services below to unlock your phone safely at no cost.
How To Unlock a T-Mobile Phone For Free in 2020
There are two types of phone unlocking services, one is web-based and one is app-based. The web-based services have an advantage over app-based services when it comes to convenience, as you do not have to download and install any software. However, app-based services are reliable and fast, and when you use free software, you only need to download it once for multiple uses.
Although you need to go through the hassle of connecting your phone to your computer using a USB cable when using app-based services, this method tends to be faster than using the website to get the unlock code. The average time to unlock using the USB cable method is 15 minutes, while that of the IMEI unlock code is 24 hours, due to the waiting time for your code to arrive. Therefore if time is of the essence for you when unlocking your phone, app-based services are the more suitable choice.
When exploring phone unlocking services, you may encounter some websites that claim to be free when they are actually not, or get the unlock code for free but then the code does not work. The guide below compiles 10 trusted, more reliable services that you can choose from based on your needs.
An online service that has been widely trusted since 2009.
A completely free, instant phone locking website.
Free software that allows you to unlock not just your phone, but also your internet modems and tablets if one day you have the need to.
A Windows application that allows you to unlock your phone through your laptop.
Unlike its name suggest, the application supports the unlocking of most major phone brands and models.
6. Fone Toolkit
A software application that not only unlocks your phone but also offers a complete solution for your phone, including data transfer, recovery, system repair, backups, etc. It is a paid software for Windows, but the trial is free.
An online website that allows instant unlock code lookup, with nearly 1 million past users.
Free software that is compatible with both Windows and Mac.
A free web-based unlocking service that has the commitment to keep their service free.
A popular choice for free phone unlocking works with most phone brands.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to unlock T-mobile phone
You can check T-Mobile’s requirements for unlocking phones on their website. If you are eligible for unlocking, you can request T-Mobile to unlock your phone for you. If you do not meet the requirements, you can use web-based services or software available online to unlock your T-Mobile phone. There are paid and free options that work on almost any phone brand and phone model.
You can check out FreeUnlocks, UnlockSimPhone.com, DoctorSIM, and many other online services. All you need to do is check your phone’s IMEI number, enter it along with your phone’s brand and model, then you will receive the unlock code to unlock your phone. Your IMEI number can be found at the “About” section in your phone settings. Alternatively, you can dial *#06# to get your IMEI number sent to your phone.
How to unlock iPhone 7 T-Mobile
For iPhone 7, you can use SIM-unlock.net for a seamless unlocking experience. Unlocking iPhone is not done via an unlock code, but the device is remotely unlocked on Apple service instead. You can also unlock your iPhone using DoctorUnlock.net, or Universal Advanced Unlocker. You will need to enter your current network carrier and IMEI number, and after the processing time, your iPhone will be unlocked remotely.
How to unlock T-Mobile iPhone:
There are many online services that can unlock your T-Mobile iPhone. Simply go to the unlock services website, choose your phone model and network carrier, and enter your IMEI number. Some of these services you can consider are SIM-unlock.net, Universal Advanced Unlocker, or DoctorUnlock.net. The unlocking process is straightforward and does not require the use of any complicated software that might brick your phone. Unlocking your iPhone is also completely legal.
With new technologies and services, there is no longer the need to buy a new phone if you want to switch your network carrier, or stay with your current carrier and get overcharged. You can select from a variety of different unlocking services, depending on your needs. Besides ease of use and price, you should also look through customer reviews before choosing an unlocking service. Unlock your phone today to experience more value-for-money phone plans!