Connectivity is a good thing, and what is better is being able to maximize that connectivity. A case in point would be internet service provider Optimum, which receives good reviews for the service it provides. But what if you can further enhance your user experience?
This is definitely possible by not renting a modem, and getting your own modem to save on costs while getting the best possible speeds. Rentals have the unfortunate tag of previous use and do not come with the best of specifications. By owning your own modem, you have control over what features you can get with your internet service. This article tells you all about the Optimum compatible modem and which ones you should buy based on the specifications of the service you are subscribed to.
Getting Your Won Modem
So how do you choose what modem is best for your Optimum subscription? Buying the right modem for your internet could be a difficult task, especially for the uninitiated. One of the things you have to know is that Optimum runs on DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Later modems that run on DOCSIS 3.1 might not run as Optimum has not rolled out compatibility with that system yet as of now. Given that, if you are on Optimum, buy only Optimum compatible modem to save yourself some time, money, and that extra drive back to the store to get your modem replaced again.
So we ran down the top five Optimum compatible modem on the market, highlighting the pros and cons of each brand and why these are the best for your needs. We considered things like speed and cost so you can narrow down your choices further.
Top 8 Best Optimum Compatible Modem | Cable Modem Router Combo
|1||ARRIS SURFboard Docsis 3.1 Gigabit Speed Cable Modem, Approved for Cox,||$93.94|
|2||NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem WiFi Router Combo C7000||$88.88|
|3||Linksys (CM3016) Docsis 3.0 16x4 Cable Modem||$89.99|
|4||Zoom 5350 Cable Modem/Router with Docsis 3.0 speed||$39.50|
|5||TP-Link TC-7610 DOCSIS 3.0 (8x4) Cable Modem. Max Download Speeds Up to 343Mbps.||$69.50|
|6||Motorola SURFboard SB5101 DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem - Non-Retail Packaging (Brown Box)||$59.99|
|7||Asus CM-16 Docsis 3.0 Cablelabs-Certified 16x4 686 Mbps Cable Modem Certified by Comcast Xfinity,||$148.58|
|8||D-Link DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (DCM-301) Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable,||$55.00|
From there you can shortlist for what you require. Though all of them are highly recommended, it still depends on you to choose based on the overview of a particular brand. So in no specific order, here are the top 5 modems for your Optimum subscription with a bonus of 3 more brands for you to choose from:
1. Arris Surfboard SB8200 Frustration-Free
Arris, by far, makes the top of the list. Particularly the Arris Surfboard SB6183 is a good investment when it comes to optimizing your internet speed. In general, an Arris brand of the modem will not let you down, and it can handle maximum speeds of internet subscriptions.
If you think this is expensive, think long term. You get every dollar you spend, and you can that get reassurance that this would perform admirably. With a two year warranty, you can at least expect this hardware to perform in top shape for the next couple of years.
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Xfinity & others Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports capable of link aggregation
- Cable internet service required Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service
The Verdict: This is the best Optimum Compatible modem that money can buy. If you can spend for it, go for performance even if you have to pay for more.
2. Netgear Nighthawk DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router Model: C7000
The Netgear Nighthawk can get up to 1.96Gbps with a 24×8 channel bonding translating to some of the fastest download speeds, with up to 960Mbps even during with heaviest user hours.
The Netgear modems come at modest costs and can perform just as spectacularly as the other top brands. Undeniably, this brand has been getting good user reviews on Amazon not only for its price but as well as its performance and the ease of setting it up. Unlike other brands, however, Netgear modems come with only one year warranty, but with the significantly low cost of the device, it hardly matters to the user and the buyer.
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model C7000 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Built for fast speed: best for cable provider plans up to 400 mbps speed.Modem technology: Engineered with 24x8 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1800 sq ft wireless coverage and 30 devices connected with AC1900 speed (up to 1900 Mbps).
- Versatile connections: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
- Safe & secure: Includes parental controls, and supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols.
- Note: Refer to page 102 of user guide for troubleshooting steps
The Verdict: An Optimum Compatible modem that gives you bang for your buck
3. Linksys CM3016
This is one of the more established and popular brands in the modem arena, so naturally, it will make the top 5 list. Though the brand speaks for itself, it became popular because it performs very well and is known to really enhance the performance of your internet regardless of whether it’s for personal use or for businesses. This brand performs so well, this is actually a favorite of corporations and enterprises. Again, you will treat this as an investment because it belongs to the more expensive side of the modem spectrum, but with a good reason. Aside from it being reliable, design-wise it is very manageable and easy to handle as well as can be easily set-up.
The Linksys CM3016 comes with a maximum Line Rate of up to 686Mbps download and up to 120 Mbps Upload and with an easy plug and play setup. The downside? Only a one-year warranty.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable modem only (no WiFi router)
- Experience high speed Wi Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans upto 250 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more
- Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high speed downstream and upstream performance
- Able to handle high bandwidth transfer rates over your existing cable lines
The Verdict: An Optimum Compatible modem that is as reliable as it can get.
4. Zoom 5350 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem/Router with Wireless-N
The Zoom 5350 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable can also mean how fast they are taken from store shelves of computer stores. They sell out fast because it’s an alternative to the more expensive modems but can give the same optimal performance. Aside from a two-year warranty, another feature that users love about Zoom is that it’s easy to read because its indicator lights are clearly labeled. Depending on how
you utilize your internet, this device is recommended for the regular internet users who surf casually and occasionally download small to medium-sized files. Zoom products also come with a 2-year manufacturer warranty, and they have customer service available by phone and email.
- Zoom 5350 Cable Modem/Router Combo - DOCSIS 3.0 - Compatible With Comcast/Xfinity and Others
- Handles Download Speeds Up to 343 Mbps (8 Bonded channels)
- Built-In Single Band WiFi Router (2.4 GHz wireless broadcast)
- Not Compatible With Telephony Service
- Ships with Power Cable, Ethernet Cable and Online Manual / Installation Guide
The Verdict: A bargain but you have to find one first
5. TP-Link (TC-7610-E)
They say simple is better. This is what TP-Link embodies. If you want a straightforward modem that performs its main function and is very reasonably priced, then this is the modem you should be looking at. This brand is probably the most user-friendly of modems out there. The product gives out very simple instructions that can easily be followed. Aside from the ease of use, you will hardly feel months, even years go by while using this device because it hardly gives any issues.
When you purchase a TP-Link, you can expect a long-term use modem that will stay with you for years. The TP-Link (TC-7610-E) has a download speed of up to 343Mbps and upload speeds up to 143 Mbps.
- Eliminate Rental Fee: Eliminate your cable modem monthly rental fee - Up to $120 per year
- Cable Modem Only: You will also need a router to enable Wi-Fi
- Faster Speed: DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem provides 8X faster download speed than DOCSIS 2.0 for an ultra-fast performance; Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels, provide data rates up to 343Mbps for download and 143Mbps for upload
- Industry Leading Support: 2-year warranty and free 24/7 technical support; J.D. Power Ranked TP-Link "Highest in Customer Satisfaction for Wireless Routers in 2017"; Great for Cable Internet plans up to 150Mbps with XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW
- Supports: IPv4 and IPv6 - the latest Internet standard
- Eliminate your cable modem monthly rental fee
- Item is CABLE MODEM ONLY. Compatible with cable internet plans up to 150Mbps*
- Great for Comcast Xfinity Internet Extreme 150, TWC 100M, Cox Cable Premier, and Brighthouse 100. Also works with other major cable operators including Charter, Cablevision, WoW and more
- Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels, provide data rates up to 343Mbps for download and 143Mbps for upload
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem provides 8X faster download speed than DOCSIS 2.0 for an ultra-fast performance
- CableLabs certified DOCSIS 3.0 backwards compatible to DOCSIS 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 provides users comprehensive network compatibility
- Supports IPv4 and IPv6 - the latest Internet standard
- Industry-leading 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support
The Verdict: Sometimes the middle of the pack works out just as fine.
6. Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem
Motorola’s modems carry their signature aesthetics. It has sleek designs and is very compact. Though at the end of the day, looks do not count for much, an ugly looking modem can break the look of your computer setup.
Some users also use this brand as an alternative to Arris and it has not disappointed so far. Its limitation is its compatibility with some ISPs but if it is compatible with your ISP, then it’s a good choice because it’s less expensive than the usual modem and it comes with a two-year warranty. Performance is great as well, it is able to give out strong wi-fi signals once you have finished setting up. Try out the Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem for your home use.
- When connected to a DOCSIS 2.0 or 3.0 cable network, capable of up to 38Mbps down and 30Mbps upstream Internet speeds.
- Specially designed architecture-allows for future upgrades
- Requires Cable Internet Service. Compatible with major U.S. Cable Providers. Contact your ISP to verify compatibility.
- Front-panel LEDs indicate status and simplify troubleshooting
- 10/100 Ethernet port to connect with router or computer
Verdict: If it works for you that is awesome however it could be hit or miss.
7. Asus DOCSIS 3.0 Modem
Another brand from the computing space, the Asus is also well-built both in and out. Lights and labels are visible and can accommodate internet speeds of up to 300 Mbps. This is particularly the modem of choice for a gamer – so you can imagine how much power it is by being able to accommodate the bandwidth requirement of even the hardcore gamers. To put things into perspective, you can get 686 Mbps without skipping a beat. This is important because, in e-sports and competitive gaming, even the slightest latency can make or break your chances of winning.
Its features are always updated with the latest technology and ensure solid performance. If you are looking for an entry-level modem to own rather than rent from your ISP, then this is a good starting point for you.
- DOCSIS 3.0 16x4 cable modem certified by Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (legacy Time Warner Cable and Charter) and Cox
- Save up to $120 per year on rental fees by owning your own cable modem
- Supports downstream of up to 686Mbps and upstream of up to 131Mbps
- Pairs perfectly with ASUS signature routers such as RT-AC68U and RT-AC66U (router not included, separate purchase required for WiFi connectivity)
- Five front-facing LED indicators easily reveal the status and signal strength of the cable modem
Verdict: If you can get this kind of performance, it is worth the gamble.
8. D-Link Modem(DCM-301)
This would also be placed on the more expensive side of modem selection but can also give much value for money. The D-Link is also a popular brand and it has many variants, you just need to know which one would work best with the subscription that you currently have to ensure optimal performance level. When you get the right modem model for your subscription, expect fast internet speeds and a strong wireless connection. D-Link modems also come with a 2-year warranty so you either expect the device to be working well in the next 2 years, or rest assured that if anything goes wrong within the next 2 years, you don’t have to go shopping for a new modem.
The question is of course price. With a heftier price tag than other modem brands, you have to ask if you really need all that speed? If you are going to use it for simple office work and research, maybe a less expensive, more modest modem is in the cards.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more; Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router)
- Integrated home services
- Maximum downstream speeds: 30 Mbps (640QAM) / 43 Mbps (256QAM) / up to 320 Mbps through 8 channel bonding1; Maximum upstream speeds: 30 Mbps (TDMA) / 35 Mbps (SCDMA) / up to 160 Mbps1
- Modem only. Router not included
- Compatible with major US cable providers, including Comcast, Time Warner and more
- Up to 8 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0 with speeds of up to 343Mbps. DOCIS 3.0 compliant
- Gigabit Ethernet Port
- IPv6 Ready
- Eliminate monthly rental fees
Verdict: It becomes a case of do you really need that much speed.
How To Buy Optimum Compatible Modem
So to wrap up this article, here are the things you need to determine before buying that modem for your Optimum subscription:
- Find out the subscription type that you have.
- Choose your top 2 brands for that you want to look at based on the price and the features as well as the after-sales service.
- It would be helpful to browse a bit more on the reviews about the brands that you shortlisted.
- Pick the models you want based on your internet subscription
- Remember to always test out the merchandise before you seal the deal.
The last 5 items are actually a checklist of what you need to do to ensure that you have picked the perfect and proper modem for your Optimum subscription. Though it seems overwhelming, paying attention to detail and being meticulous about the features can be worth it in the long run. You need to remember that the internet is something that you need on a daily basis and like many things, it has since evolved to service a wide range of needs. Whether you like entertainment, games, you work on the creative industry or have a career in the digital marketing space, the internet will likely determine the success of what you are doing and of course your satisfaction.
Yes, they are all compatible, but it still boils down to how you intend to use the internet, and how can the modem help you become more efficient, faster, and more satisfied with your internet service. By the end of the day, we all have different needs but we all need a fast, stable internet experience with your modem. To put it in other terms, the best experience with the internet is one that you do not notice because the only time you notice your internet speed