WiFi network allows you to connect two or more devices for sharing internet connection. You can have access to the internet from anywhere you are, whether at work, at a cafe, the library, at home or anywhere else as long as there is an available WiFi network to connect to. There are WiFi networks that are open to everyone and you can just gain access by simply connecting your phone.
Most, however, are private networks that are protected and can only be accessed if you have the WiFi password. Setting a password on your WiFi network keeps away unwanted connectors like neighbors, passersby and hackers. When you connect with a password-protected WiFi network for the first time, your device automatically recognizes that network and connects to it when you are near.
Forgetting the password of a WiFi that you’ve connected to in the past is a very common occurrence because your device usually automatically connects to a WiFi network it recognises. You might not always need the password but an emergency might come up where you might be locked out of the WiFi at work or at home. If you find yourself in a situation like that and you cannot remember the password, then you would have to recover the password before you can access the WiFi network on your iPhone or Android device. This can be done by following the detailed guide that will be explained in this article.
- How Can I See Hidden WiFi Passwords on iPhone or Android?
- How to See Hidden WiFi Password on iPhone: Easy Ways
- How to See Hidden WiFi Password on Android: Easy Ways
- Can I Have Access to a Hidden WiFi Password on my iPhone?
- Are Third Party Apps able to Recover Hidden WiFi Passwords on iPhone?
- Do I Need to Root my Android Phone to See Hidden WiFi Passwords?
- Can I Access WiFi Networks if the Password has been Changed?
How Can I See Hidden WiFi Passwords on iPhone or Android?
You will be able to recover lost passwords to a WiFi network that you were connected to in the past because the WiFi network name and password is usually stored in the device’s memory. This means that if you dig a little deep into your iPhone or Android, you might be able to see the password and connect to the WiFi network once again. In summary, you can access and share all your WiFi passwords through the WiFi settings on your Android. It is not as easy on an iPhone but it is still possible by sharing or syncing the password to your Mac and viewing them there.
How to See Hidden WiFi Password on iPhone: Easy Ways
Apple does not allow its users to view WiFi passwords directly on the iPhone and there is no direct feature on the iOS that you can use to find a WiFi password unless the iPhone is jailbroken. This article explains all the different ways you can see hidden WiFi passwords on your iPhone without needing to jailbreak it. These methods include using iCloud Keychain, through router settings, on your hotspot settings, or by using third party applications.
1) How to See Hidden WiFi Password on iPhone using iCloud Keychain
Apple has a feature called iCloud Keychain, a password management software on your iPhone that allows you to have access to all your saved passwords and you can retrieve these passwords when you need them later on. With this software, you can sync passwords across all your Apple devices like your Mac and iPad. You can not directly view your saved password on your iPhone but you can access a tool on your Mac that is called Keychain Access that allows you to view WiFi passwords that are saved on your iPhone. For this to work, your Mac and iPhone must be signed in to the same iCloud account.
To see hidden WiFi password on iPhone using iCloud Keychain;
- Open Settings on your iPhone and navigate to iCloud by tapping on your ID at the top of the Screen.
- In iCloud settings, click on Keychain and turn on the toggle to start syncing your passwords.
- You should then open your Mac and click on the Apple icon at the top Left of your screen and tap on System Preferences.
- Select iCloud and turn on the Keychain option on the screen.
- In the Dock, tap on Launchpad and search for the Keychain Access application. Launch it and input the name of the WiFi network whose password you are trying to recover.
- Double click on the Network and tap on the Show Password option to view the password.
- To continue, you need to provide your Keychain password and click on OK.
Your saved WiFi password will appear on the screen which you can then use to access the WiFi network.
2) How to See Hidden WiFi Password on iPhone through Router Settings
You can check the WiFi password by going directly to the source, the WiFi router. This is a foolproof method of finding a WiFi password on your iPhone because the routers let you log into them in order to check and change settings like the WiFi name and password.
To see hidden WiFi password on iPhone through router settings;
- Open Settings on your iPhone and click on WiFi.
- Click on the info icon (i) next to the WiFi network name and find the Router field.
- Copy down the router IP address number.
- Next, open your Web browser on the iPhone and search for the IP address you copied.
- Log in to your router and access the settings. This settings will let you have access to the WiFi network name and password.
You can then copy the password you’ve revealed using this method.
3) How to See Hidden WiFi Password of your Personal Hotspot on iPhone
The Personal Hotspot feature on your iPhone allows you to turn your iPhone into a router that will connect all your other devices to the internet. If the WiFi network you are connecting to is your personal hotspot, you can simply check your password by accessing the personal hotspot settings on your iPhone and directly viewing the password. This process is very simple and straightforward.
To see hidden WiFi password of your Personal Hotspot on iPhone;
- Open Settings on your iPhone and click on Personal Hotspot.
- Navigate to the WiFi Hotspot menu and you will see the password of your Personal Hotspot.
You can then copy this password which you can share to your other devices or to other individuals.
4) How to See Hidden WiFi Password on iPhone using Third Party Software
If you have tried all the methods above and you’ve not been able to recover the hidden WiFi password on your iPhone, then your last resort should be using third party software. These software give you access to saved WiFi network passwords on your iOS devices. However, they can be difficult to install if your iPhone is not jailbroken and using these softwares might expose your iPhone to external virus attack and malware. This is why this should only be considered as a last resort and caution should be taken while looking for a software to use. Some legit third party softwares that you can install on your iPhone to see hidden WiFi passwords include AnyUnlock, 4uKey-password manager, DIssid, and Speedssid.
How to See Hidden WiFi Password on Android: Easy Ways
It is easier to see hidden WiFi network passwords on the Android device because there is an in-built feature that allows you to view these passwords through the phone’s settings. The process is usually simple, fast and straightforward, but it only works on phones running on Android 10 and above. If your phone is running on a lower Android version, your next option will be to root your phone and use third party software to see the hidden WiFi password.
1) How to See Hidden WiFi Password on Android through the Phone Settings
This is the simplest way to gain access to WiFi networks that you’ve connected to in the past. It makes use of an in-built feature on your Android phone that allows you to view and share WiFi networks. This method only works on phones that are running on Android 10 or above. The procedure might differ based on the type of Android phone you are using.
To see hidden WiFi password on Android;
- Open the Settings app on your Android phone.
- Navigate to Network & Internet and access the WiFi settings.
- Click on Saved networks and select the network you need access to.
- Tap on Share and a QR code will appear.
- The password will be located plainly under the QR code.
You can then copy the password and you can also use the QR code to share the password to other devices.
2) How to See Hidden WiFi Password on a Rooted Android Phone
If your Android phone is running on Android 9 or below, then it is more difficult to see hidden WiFi passwords on your Android phone. To do so, you must root your phone to gain the highest level of access to your phone. This method is very complicated and might cause unnecessary issues on your phone if mishandled. This is why it is important to be cautious while using this method to see hidden WiFi passwords.
You can do this using a file manager app that has access to root explorer features or by using third party applications that lets you view hidden WiFi passwords. These applications include WiFi Password Viewer, Wi-Fi Key Recovery, WIFI WPS WPA TESTER, and Fastweb.Alice.WiFi.Recovery.
To see hidden WiFi password on rooted Android phone through file manager;
- Launch the file manager on your Android and find a folder named data/misc/wifi. The file manager must have root explorer capabilities.
- Grant app root access and locate wpa_supplicant.conf file.
- Open the file using a text editor and you will see the details of all the WiFi networks you’ve connected to in the past including the networks names and passwords.
The password you are looking for will be included in the details of the WiFi network which you can copy and share to gain access to the network.
Can I Have Access to a Hidden WiFi Password on my iPhone?
Yes. You can find the hidden password of a WiFi network you’ve connected to in the past by using iCloud Keychain, accessing the WiFi router settings, or by making use of legit third party applications.
Are Third Party Apps able to Recover Hidden WiFi Passwords on iPhone?
There are a lot of legit third party applications that you can install on your iPhone which can help you get access to hidden WiFi passwords. These applications need to be carefully selected or else your phone might be vulnerable to external malware and spyware. Examples of legit software you can use to recover hidden WiFi passwords include AnyUnlock, DIssid, 4uKey-password manager, and Speedssid.
Do I Need to Root my Android Phone to See Hidden WiFi Passwords?
It depends. If your Android phone is running on Android 10 or above, you will be able to see hidden WiFi passwords using the phone’s in-built feature. However, if your phone is running on Android 9 and below, you will need to root your phone and make use of a file manager or third party applications to see hidden WiFi passwords of WiFi networks you’ve connected to in the past.
Can I Access WiFi Networks if the Password has been Changed?
No. If the password of the Wifi network you are using has been changed, you will need to reconnect to the network using the new password. If you don’t have the new password, you cannot access the WiFi network.
It is very common to forget the password to a WiFi network that you’ve already connected to in the past because you don’t usually need to input the password whenever you want to connect to the network again. If your phone recognises the WiFi network, it will automatically connect to the network without having to input the password again. However, there are times when you will need the password and you cannot remember it.
This way, you have to look for a method to see the hidden WiFi password on your iPhone or Android device. This article has set up a detailed and comprehensive guide that will help you gain access to the WiFi passwords of WiFi networks you have connected to in the past on your Android or iPhone.