AT&T (American Telegraph and Telecommunications Company) is among the leading telephone service providers and also one of the oldest telecommunication companies. The telecommunication company provides wireline, satellite, wireless, and data services which comprise of AT&T Dedicated Internet (ADI), Ethernet and broadband services, and also Virtual Private Networks (VPN). It offers nationwide coverage of both 4G and 5G networks with cell phone plans that includes both limited and unlimited plans ranging from $25 to $85. The United States generates the majority of AT&T’s company.
AT&T cell phones come locked with the AT&T carrier, and even though it provides all the necessary features one might need, it might not be the best option for everyone. As an owner of an AT&T cell phone, you might want to migrate to another carrier like Verizon and T-Mobile without having to let go of your beloved phone. The only way that can be done is through unlocking the cell phone. The unlocking process will be explained in details in this article, so keep reading to find out how to unlock your AT&T device.
- How To Unlock An AT&T Phone Yourself For Free?
- How To Unlock Your AT&T Device Through AT&T Online Platform?
- How To Unlock Your AT&T Device Using Third-Party Service?
- Can other Carriers Unlock my AT&T Phone?
- How Fast is the AT&T Unlocking Process?
- Why Did AT&T Reject my Unlock Request?
- Can AT&T Permanently Lock my Device Onto its Network?
- Is Unlocking my AT&T Device the Same as Jailbreaking?
How To Unlock An AT&T Phone Yourself For Free?
To unlock your device, it has to follow the AT&T unlock policy requirements. You will not be able to get it unlocked if it doesn’t conform to the requirements. These requirements include:
- You must be active or former customer of AT&T.
- Your device should not have been reported stolen or lost.
- All service installments and commitments must be completed accordingly.
- Your phone must not have an outstanding account balance.
- Your prepaid account must have a minimum of six months of service on the AT&T network.
If your device meets all the requirements listed above, you can go ahead and follow the steps described below to get your phone unlocked.
How To Unlock Your AT&T Device Through AT&T Online Platform?
Your AT&T cell phone can be unlocked through the online platform by following the step by step instructions below.
- Visit the AT&T online unlocking portal (https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/) and click on ‘Unlock your device‘.
- Click on ‘Yes‘ to verify as AT&T customer and provide your phone number.
- Complete the unlocking process by providing the information requested including the email that you will be contacted through.
- You will receive an email telling you to click on a link provided that will be available only for 24 hours. The link will direct you towards processing your unlock request.
- AT&T will tell you whether the unlock request has been approved or not within 2 to 3 business days.
If approved, you will receive a confirmation email informing you that your unlock request has been approved. If your device is an android, you will also receive an unlock code and instructions on how to input them.
# 1) To Unlock your Android Device using the Unlock Code:
- Restart your device using a non-AT&T SIM card.
- You will get a prompt immediately saying ‘Enter the device unlock code‘.
- Input the eight-digit unlock code in the text box and click ‘Ok‘.
- If you input up to 5 incorrect codes, your device will be permanently locked on the AT&T network.
The steps above might differ depending on your type of Android device.
# 2) To Unlock your iPhone:
Unlocking your iPhone is an easier process because the iPhone does not require the use of an unlock code from AT&T. If your unlock is approved, your device will be automatically unlocked remotely from Apple. The only thing you have to do is use a non-AT&T SIM after your device has been unlocked.
How To Unlock Your AT&T Device Using Third-Party Service?
If your AT&T Unlock request has been rejected by AT&T, you can try making use of available third party services to unlock your device. Some services are free of charge but the legit and proven ones might require you to spend quite some considerable amount of money. These services can help get your phone unlocked and able to work on another carrier in no time.
You need to ensure that the service you’re going to utilize is legit and verified, else you might end up wasting your time and money. Some third party apps you can use are DoctorUnlock, UnlockAuthority, and iTooLab SimUnlocker.
- Fast and convenient.
- Permanent unlocking.
- Works with all devices.
- High risk of false service.
- Unofficial method.
Can other Carriers Unlock my AT&T Phone?
No. You can only unlock your device based on the AT&T requirements. You can then use other carriers on your device after it has been unlocked.
How Fast is the AT&T Unlocking Process?
The whole process of unlocking your AT&T device is fast and easy and it might only take you up to 3 days at most to complete the process from sending the request to awaiting confirmation from AT&T.
Why Did AT&T Reject my Unlock Request?
AT&T can only approve of your unlock request if your device fulfills all the necessary requirements stated. If your request has been rejected, then it’s either a requirement has not been fulfilled or you’ve made a mistake in the unlocking process.
Can AT&T Permanently Lock my Device Onto its Network?
Yes. If AT&T detects a violation from your device, it can permanently lock the device. Another way your device can be permanently locked is if you input the wrong unlock code up to 5 times on your device.
Is Unlocking my AT&T Device the Same as Jailbreaking?
No, it is not. Jailbreaking is done in order to be able to make use of applications that are not available in your phone’s appstore, while unlocking the device is done when the user wants to utilize another carrier like Verizon and T-Mobile.
The need to unlock your device can be due to a need to change service providers from AT&T to other carriers like Verizon, T-Mobile, etc. The process might seem like a hassle, especially if you’ve never unlocked a carrier-locked phone before. However, the AT&T online platform offers you a process that allows you to unlock your device for free easily. If the company rejects your request for some violation reason, you can always use third party services, even though those are not always free.
If either of the above processes have been able to unlock your device, then you are now able to use any carrier of your choice on your unlocked device. The AT&T unlocking method is fast and easy, but it might seem daunting at first.