Deleting a very important text message can be overwhelming, especially when there seems to be no hope of retrieving the text message. While most text messages are random and unimportant, some messages are actually useful and they might contain sensitive information that would be needed in the future. Some text messages have sentimental or evidential value – they could be a romantic text message from a loved one or a receipt containing transaction details.
Text messages can be very important depending on how sensitive the information they contain is. Unfortunately, Apple does not provide its users with the option to retrieve text messages that have not been backed up on iCloud, Finder or iTunes. So it’s easy to panic over the possibility that a text message might indeed be lost forever.
You’re probably looking for a way to recover a message you deleted accidentally without having to use backup. Retrieving your deleted text messages on your iPhone without backed up data is almost impossible without the use of third party software. In this article, we will guide you towards the ways you can retrieve your text messages on iPhone without backup using third party software, through your cell service carrier, and by using non-synced iCloud iMessages on your other Apple devices like your iPad, MacBook or another iPhone that uses your Apple ID.
- How Do I Recover My Deleted Text Message Without Backup?
- Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Text Messages from your iPhone?
- How To Recover Deleted Messages On iPhone Without Backup?
- Methods 1) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages from iPhone Through iMessages Syncing on iCloud
- Method 2) How to recover deleted messages from iPhone using iTunes
- Methods 3) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages by Contacting Your Cell Service Provider
- Methods 4) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages Using a Third Party Recovery Software
- Can Text Messages That Have Been Deleted Months Ago From My iPhone Be Recovered?
- Can I Recover My Deleted Text Messages Without Needing Backup?
- Is There a Time Limit to When I Can Recover a Deleted Text Message?
- Can I Choose to Recover Only my Text Messages From iCloud Backup?
- How Can I Prevent the Permanent Loss of My Text Messages on my iPhone?
How Do I Recover My Deleted Text Message Without Backup?
You can Recover your deleted text message through various methods that will be discussed in this article. Without having backed up data on iCloud, Finder, or iTunes, there are three ways that you can Recover deleted text messages on your iPhone. These methods includes the use of legit third party software, contacting your cell service carrier, or accessing your iMessages data that have not been synced on the iCloud through your other Apple devices.
Is it Possible to Recover Deleted Text Messages from your iPhone?
Before you recover iPhone deleted text messages, you have to know that after you remove a message from your iPhone, the message doesn’t really get deleted. Because the deleted messages are technically marked for deletion by the system and hidden so that they become invisible to us. So deleted messages still stay somewhere on your iPhone and you can retrieve them as long as you find those marked and hidden messages files. That’s why you can recover deleted text messages and get them back from your iPhone.
How to find those marked and hidden messages files, and retrieve invisible text messages on your iPhone? Actually, there are three ways to retrieve lost or deleted messages on iPhone. If you have a previous backup saved with iTunes or your iCloud, you are able to restore your iPhone text messages from the backup. Otherwise, you will need to use a third-party iPhone data recovery software or SMS recovery software and restore the deleted message from your iPhone to your computer. Keep reading to learn more about each method.
How To Recover Deleted Messages On iPhone Without Backup?
- Use USB cable to connect your iPhone to your Mac and launch Cisdem iPhone Recovery on Mac. Choose “Recover from iOS Device” option, this iPhone data recovery will detect your device. Once detected, the current device name, device type and iOS version will be displayed on the interface of the software.
- Click “Start” button. From this moment, Cisdem iPhone Recovery starts to scan the whole files of your iPhone. After scanning, you can see all extracted files. Then choose “Messages” item to preview all found messages.
- After you preview the messages, select the messages you want to recover. You can select all messages with one click. Then click “Recover” and a small window will pop up for you to choose the output file type. HTML, Excel, Word, Numbers, and Pages format are also supported. At last, click “Save” to save your recovered iPhone messages.
Methods 1) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages from iPhone Through iMessages Syncing on iCloud
Apple introduced this feature where your iMessages are integrated with your iCloud and can be accessed through all your Apple devices including your MacBook, iPad, or another iPhone. This means that you might be able to Recover a deleted text message on your iPhone which has not yet been synced by searching for it on your other Apple devices. This method does not need any backup data even though it is related to iCloud. Note that this method of Recover can only work if the deletion of the text message is recent and iCloud syncing has not been done yet.
Before beginning, make sure that your other Apple device is on airplane mode so that iCloud syncing can be prevented. You can then begin by opening “iCloud” settings which you can find in “Apple ID” in the “Settings” app on your iPhone and enable the “Messages” option. “Reset” your iPhone and switch it back on, then restore your deleted text messages via iCloud.
- Does not need backed up data.
- Official and secure method of recovery.
- Simple and fast recovery.
- Needs a secondary Apple device.
- Low guarantee of success.
- Needs internet connection.
- Might not work on newer iOS.
Method 2) How to recover deleted messages from iPhone using iTunes
This works only if you automatically back up your iPhone to iTunes.
- Connect your iPhone to the Mac with which you sync it and open iTunes.
- You should see your iPhone in a box at the top right corner. Select your iPhone.
- Check the date when your last backup is created. If you want to restore your iPhone to your previously created backup, click “Restore backup”.
- All the data you previously backed up will now replace the data on your phone. It will take a few minutes. As long as you have backed up your messages before you delete them, they should now appear in the normal messaging list on your iPhone.
You can also use Cisdem iPhone Recovery to recover iPhone text messages from iTunes backup files, using Cisdem iPhone Recovery is more convenient and faster for you to recover deleted files from iPhone including iPhone 8 or iPhone X, follow below steps to use this iPhone data recovery to retrieve deleted text messages from iTunes backup.
- Launch Cisdem iPhone Recovery, and choose “Recover from iTunes Backup File” mode, then select an iTunes backup file to recover and click “New Scan”.
- After this application deeply scans your files, you can select “Message” and click “Recover” to recover text messages you deleted before.
Methods 3) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages by Contacting Your Cell Service Provider
Cell phone service providers keep records of text messages that have been sent or received by you for a short period of time. These records usually are not available for long and can only be accessed before they are erased or overwritten by new data. If your text message was deleted recently, you can try contacting your cell service provider through their customer care.
They won’t just simply release the records to you. A series of questions and information like your name, email address, residential address, identity number or social security number will be asked of you so that your identity can be verified, before they can consider releasing the records of your text messages. However, if you are successful, you will be able to retrieve that very important text message that you accidentally deleted.
- Private and secure.
- No internet connection required.
- Too many formalities involved.
- No guarantee of success.
Methods 4) How to Recover Deleted Text Messages Using a Third Party Recovery Software
If every method you’ve tried does not work and your deleted text message seems to be gone forever, your last option might be to try using a third party iPhone recovery software to restore your messages. These third party software can search through your iPhone and access deleted data that are still lingering in the phone’s flash memory before being overwritten by fresh data.
This method is not very secure as you might be making your iPhone vulnerable to external malware or permanent data loss so this should only be a last resort decision in case all other methods have turned out unsuccessful. It is advisable to research on these softwares and only use the ones that are legit and have good positive reviews. Some legit third party softwares include Cisdem, iMobie PhoneRescue, OmniRecover, and iPhone Data Recovery.
To use ‘Cisdem‘ to recover your data, download the Cisdem iPhone Recovery software on your MacBook and connect your iPhone to the computer. On the recovery app, click on ‘Recover from iOS device’ and the system will detect your connected iPhone.
The details of your phone will appear on the screen. Tap on ‘Start’ to prompt Cisdem to begin scanning your phone’s data. You can then see all the extracted files and choose ‘Messages’ to view all extracted messages. If the deleted message is there, you can click on it and ‘Recover‘ it to your iPhone through html, Excel, Word, or Pages formats. Click on ‘Save’ to save the text message you just recovered.
For ‘iMobie PhoneRescue‘, download the application to your PC or MacBook and launch it. You can then connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable and click on ‘Recover from iOS’ in the software and tap on the arrow at the bottom of the screen to continue. Choose the Messages category to scan deleted text messages on your iPhone. The text messages will appear after the scan is done and then you can mark the data you want to recover and click on ‘To Device’ option to restore them to your iPhone.
To recover deleted text messages through ‘OmniRecover‘, download the software on your computer and open it. Connect your iPhone and choose the ‘From Device’ option and you will see the details of your device on the screen. Click on your device and allow this software to scan your data by clicking on ‘Next’. Choose the ‘Messages’ category and after a scan, you can see your deleted text messages which you can choose to recover to your iPhone.
You can make use of ‘iPhone Data Recovery‘ software to restore your deleted text messages by downloading the application on your PC or MacBook and installing it. Launch the software on your computer and click on ‘Messages’ and ‘Message Attachments’ on the homepage. Connect your device to your computer using a cable and choose ‘Recover data from phone’. Your iPhone will be scanned through your files and you will be able to view and recover the extracted deleted text messages.
- Simple and fast methods.
- Easy access to lost files.
- Affordable and versatile.
- Needs a secondary device (‘PC or MacBook’).
- Insecure method.
- High risk of external malware.
- High risk of permanent loss of data.
Your deleted text messages have hopefully been recovered using any of the methods described above. It is not easy losing important files on your phone accidentally especially when there is no backed up data that you can access. This is why any loss of important data should be prevented in the future by ensuring that your important data like your media and text messages are regularly backed up to your iCloud, iTunes or Finder. This will assure you that no data is permanently lost when you accidentally click on that “Delete” button.
Can Text Messages That Have Been Deleted Months Ago From My iPhone Be Recovered?
Yes they can. Text messages can be recovered as long as they still linger in your iPhone’s flash memory and have not yet been updated or overwritten by incoming data. However, if it has been overwritten and you have no access to backed up data, then it would be very difficult to recover these deleted text messages.
Can I Recover My Deleted Text Messages Without Needing Backup?
If you have not backed up your data and you fear that deleted text messages might not be recovered, you can make use of other methods like third party software or by contacting your cell service provider to retrieve those messages. There’s no 100% guarantee it will work but it’s worth the try.
Is There a Time Limit to When I Can Recover a Deleted Text Message?
The chance of recovering your deleted text messages depends not on how long it was deleted but on how long it will take before your phone updates its flash memory and overwrites deleted text messages with new and fresh data. It is still advisable to try recovering the data as soon as possible to avoid it being lost forever.
Can I Choose to Recover Only my Text Messages From iCloud Backup?
Currently, there’s no way to recover only your text messages from iCloud backup. If you are trying to access data from your iCloud backup, then you can only do that by restoring the whole backup including all other backed up data apart from your text messages to your iPhone.
How Can I Prevent the Permanent Loss of My Text Messages on my iPhone?
The best way to ensure that you do not have to worry about permanent loss of data is through regular backing up of your data on iCloud, Finder or iTunes. This will ensure that you always have a way to get back your lost data if you accidentally delete them. So try to keep your data backed up as regularly as possible.
Text messages are normally backed up along with other important data when your iCloud backup is turned on. This makes it easy to recover deleted data by simply restoring the backup that contains said data. However, some people don’t have access to iCloud backup. When a text message is accidentally deleted and you are the type of person that does not use iCloud or other backups, it’s easy to assume that there will be no way to recover that deleted text message and it might be lost forever. Recovering deleted text messages without needing backup is possible even though it might be difficult with less guarantee of success.
In this article, different methods of recovering your deleted text messages without backup were discussed in detail and hopefully, you were able to utilize these methods to recover that very important text message.